Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My own cleaning products

It has been a few weeks now since I have been using non-commercial cleaning products. After reading Organic Housekeeping and doing some searches on the interest. I have found that all the chemicals in most cleaning products are not good for anyone. I am a person who suffers from allergies. Certain scents and chemicals trigger these allergies also. This is one of the main reasons for my switch.

I now clean with a 50/50 vinegar water mixture. This is an all-purpose cleaner. For sinks and tougher cleaning projects I will add baking soda to the mixture. I was surprised by how well this works. I'm not a huge fan of the vinegar smell, but adding a little fresh lemon juice to the mixture is great!

Other items to help with cleaning:
Salt - Will help to dissolve tarnish.
Baking soda - Will to absorb odors and act as a mild abrasive.
Hydrogen Peroxide - Will help act as disinfect.

Cleaning with vinegar is not only a great way to avoid exposure to many hazardous commercial household cleaners; it’s also cheaper, safer and easier on the environment.

1 comment:

AleciaMarie said...

I have nasty allergies- I am seriously hoping that the new organic cleaners and products in our home help! I think they have already helped a little, though I think the real culprit is our new furniture giving off all sorts of noxious gases thats killing me!