Monday, March 24, 2008

Renovating

We purchased the house we live in about a year ago this month. We had been looking and searching for houses for about 3 years. We were very picky. (Which I believe one should be, when making that big of a purchase!) Well this house had the layout we wanted with three bedrooms all together on one corner of the house an extra one downstairs for a guest room. A Jacuzzi tub, which was on my list. A entertainment area, which is the basement. Open concept was a must with a little one too. The only problem now is the little things. Well... some I guess aren't so little. We really want to redo the kitchen. I absolutely hate the cabinet colors. So we have an appointment tonight with Kitchen Solvers. Kitchen Solvers is a company that refinishes existing cabinets to look ideal for you. This is a cheaper alternative to redoing the whole kitchen saving money and reducing ones waste. I'm very curious to see what the price difference actually is. Our previous home we gutted the kitchen and totally replaced everything brand new. It was a small kitchen, but the price tag was close to 7,500. I'll fill you in on the exact process and how the cost compares after the appointment. We received information about this from the home show, which wasn't wasn't I accept it to be. The Home Show that is. There really wasn't too much green information. The majority of th booths seemed to be Banks.



The next thing we would like to do is update our appliances. I have to be honest there is nothing wrong with our current ones, but these would be a great update to our rentals. Of course allowing me to have some new ones!



Like one of the previous post I would like to paint a few rooms. I have been looking into Eco-friendly painting options. These are great to use because most are orderless, so if you have little ones around they are not as harmful. Plus you are reducing your carbon footprint too!



Lighting.... OK if you have entered my house, you will know that our light fixtures are horrendous! They are cheap first off and gold. Yuck! Since I can remember I have never been a fan of gold. When I was 7 my dad bought me a gold heart necklace. I opened it and was like ohhh I love it. (It is still sitting in the leather holder he gave it to me in and never worn. Sorry Dad!) The lighting is something that could be replaced at not much of a cost and not hard to do it yourself. The only problem is with open concept you need to replace most of them at once, or your room will look even sillier.

No comments: