Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rentals

Having rental property is something we both wanted to be a part of. Our long time goal was to overtime establish a good set of properties so that I could manage them and not have a full-time job after we decided to have children.

The summer of 2004 we purchased two homes. The first was a 2 bedroom 1 bath home with a side yard. The second was a 3 bedroom 1 bath home with pretty much no yard. It does have a small shed on the lot for storage.

Upon walking into the rentals I was so grossed out I wanted to run out the door! The small home had been vacant for 1 year. There was Chinese lady bugs covering the sides of all rooms. There was bugs and dust everywhere. It was a smaller home with potential, although I did not see this, luckily my Isaac did. The larger of the two homes was rented by a family of 5. The showing was on a hot summer afternoon. The family was at the house at the time of our showing. They had no window's open, sheets covering the windows, and almost seemed as if they were hibernating during winter time. There was food pieces all over the kitchen, dirty dishes on the stove and sink, and junk everywhere. I remember one memeber of the family wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up! I thought I was going to die in shorts and a tank top. Isaac and I decided to talk after we seperated from the realator. I said, "Noway, would I ever buy those." He was in the total oposite mindset. I was in complete shocked. After a week I said, "What the heck to we have to loose and was up for the challenge, but said we'll buy one of them."

The houses were owned by the same person and they both shared the same lot. They gave us an offer we could not refuse for both houses.

Welcome to the Landlord world!

No comments: